AGH Strategies seeks a junior developer to join our practice developing for CiviCRM. You will become an active member of a global community of CiviCRM developers, and you will play a key role in helping a wide variety of nonproﬁt organizations achieve their missions.
The heart of our work is supporting nonproﬁts in their constituent relationship management. To do so, we regularly develop new features for our clients. While some solutions are truly custom, many get incorporated into CiviCRM itself or released as CiviCRM extensions.
As a developer at AGH Strategies, you will be regularly producing software that will be used worldwide by nonproﬁts doing great work. We are looking for someone with at least some experience in how nonproﬁts work, bringing experience as either a past employee or volunteer at a nonproﬁt.
In addition, working with a global project means that collaboration is a constant. Within the ofﬁce, too, we are a team that enjoys working with each other and talking through different options for solving a problem. Different perspectives and backgrounds contribute to a better product.
Once you hit your stride, you should expect a typical week to include:
- writing custom adjustments for clients’ sites
- diagnosing and patching bugs that clients ﬁnd in CiviCRM
- building new features to be included in CiviCRM
- writing and publishing an extension to address a client’s needs
- submitting pull requests and collaborating with the CiviCRM core team
AGH Strategies is a collegial workplace, and this position would be primarily based at our ofﬁce in the 16th Street Heights neighborhood of Washington, DC. However, we’re also ﬂexible and can accommodate scheduled or periodic telework.
Salary will be commensurate with experience; beneﬁts include participation in our medical insurance plan (with a wide range of plan options, including some that are 100% employer-paid), contributions to a Health Savings Account and a retirement account, generous and ﬂexible paid time off for sickness or vacation, SmartBeneﬁts for Metro, and an annual Capital Bikeshare pass. AGH Strategies also offers a casual, dog-friendly working environment, with opportunities to take on a variety of projects.
- Patience and sensitivity to work with multiple clients with varying technical skills and needs
- Experience working with a nonproﬁt as either a volunteer or an employee
- Skill at coherently communicating software functions and design needs
- Conﬁdence to clearly articulate your professional opinion
- Humility to learn from each client
- Ability to travel locally within the Washington, DC, area and—less than 5% of the time—nationally to meet with clients or collaborate with others in the CiviCRM community
In addition, some of the following would describe an outstanding applicant—and reﬂect the skills you’ll pick up here:
- Have experience working with Drupal, Joomla, WordPress, and/or CiviCRM
- Have experience using Git and/or Drush
- Be skilled in writing CSS
- Be skilled in composing SQL queries
- Sincerely enjoy working with people—both new and familiar ones
- Have an inquisitive personality that enjoys problem-solving
- Be comfortable using basic spreadsheet functions to manipulate data
- Either have completed a Bachelor’s degree or have four or more years of work experience that involves critical thinking, frequently learning new skills, and collaboration with others
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and a letter introducing yourself and your experience. Applications will be evaluated as they are received.